Meet a Root – Pat Hughes March 8 2013
CrossFit Open Athletes! Remember to log your score by Sunday at 4pm! You should have two scores to log: total reps and a time. See this link for more information on logging your score.
AMRAP 15 minutes:
3 squat cleans
3 front squats
Meet a Root – Pat Hughes
1. Vitals: name & nickname at the shop if you have one on whiteboard, class time most often attended, months/years CrossFitting.
Pat Hughes, 5:30am. Going on 5 months of consistent CrossFitting with Roots, although my introduction was technically about 4 1/2 years ago (via Cindy and Fight Gone Bad) as part of Marine Corps officer training.
2. Favorite WOD or lift (pick one)?
3. Least favorite WOD or lift (pick one)?
7 minutes of burpees
4. What do you do for work? (career)
Marketing for Boulder Brands
5. What’s your background? Athletically, life, moves, etc.
I ran track and cross country in high school in Ohio and college in Maine, after which I worked in Washington, D.C. for 2 years. I ran a couple of marathons there before joining the Marine Corps, where I came to appreciate functional fitness and variations of CrossFit. I was stationed in southern California and deployed to Afghanistan twice before returning to civilian life last fall and moving to Boulder with my wife and our dog.
6. What is your favorite thing about CrossFit?
Great people, great coaches, and consistently being challenged athletically.
7. What is your least favorite thing about CrossFit?
Burpees or the Erg
8. Do you have any goals in CrossFit?
9. When you’re not CrossFitting, what activities keep you busy?
Hiking, skiing, and otherwise exploring Colorado at the moment.
10. Where were you born/raised?
Born in North Carolina but raised primarily in Ohio.
11. Married, kids, family?
Married to Lindsey Hughes, who I dragged into CrossFit when we moved to Boulder last fall. (And if the coaches could pipe in here, we think Lindsey is killing it lately at the shop!)
12. How do you make CrossFit a part of your weekly schedule?
Schedule permitting, I like to attend the 5:30am class 4 times a week plus an occassional open shop or WOD on the weekend.