EMOTM for 15 minutes:
1 snatch pull
2 hang squat snatch
1 overhead squat
The annual Memorial Day Murph workout and potluck will take place Sunday, May 29th. We will host two heats of the workout followed by a potluck breakfast. This is an annual event that many many Roots athletes come out for each year.
Class begins at 8:30am.
Please note, you must sign-up for a heat in order to participate. We will run two heats of 60 people at 9:00am and 9:20am. Be sure to sign-up on MBO. CrossFit Roots has 10 vests and they are first come first serve. Alternatively, you may bring your own body armor.
Read below for details on the workout, scaling options, the history behind CrossFit.com’s heroes workouts, and the potluck to follow the event.
1 mile Run
1 mile Run
In memory of Navy Lieutenant Michael Murphy, 29, of Patchogue, N.Y., who was killed in Afghanistan June 28th, 2005. This workout was one of Mike’s favorites and he’d named it “Body Armor”. From here on it will be referred to as “Murph” in honor of the focused warrior and great American who wanted nothing more in life than to serve this great country and the beautiful people who make it what it is. Partition the pull-ups, push-ups, and squats as needed. Start and finish with a mile run. If you’ve got a twenty pound vest or body armor, wear it.
POTLUCK BREAKFAST AND SOCIAL
Please stick around after the workout to rest, recover, and join in on a potluck breakfast. If you plan to stay for breakfast, please bring a Paleo brunch item to share.
As always, we will have scaling options. Eric and Nicole will be there on Sunday to help guide you if you’re not sure which option is for you, but here they are in advance.
1. RX – as written and with a 20 pound vest (we have 10, first come, first serve, or bring your own body armor). The 20 pound vest is for male AND female for RX, there is no “women’s weight.” The vest mimics the weight of body armor and you can’t scale body armor, bad things happen.
2. BODY WEIGHT – as written but without a weight vest
3. BODY WEIGHT plus bands/knees – as written, without a weight vest, and using bands for pull-ups or doing push-ups on knees
4. HALF MURPH – full or half run distance but with 1/2 pull-ups, push-ups, and squats (50/100/150)
5. TEAM MURPH – in a team of 2, partners run alternating 400s and split the pull-ups/push-ups/squats. One partner can work at a time.
THE HERO WORKOUTS
Fallen but Never Forgotten – the CrossFit Hero workouts explained.