8 rounds of:
:30 row ( cal )
Number 6: Eliminate Legumes, Starchy Vegetables, and (gasp) Squash
The Paleo Diet is based on the way our ancestors ate prior to the invention of agriculture. Sure, there’s some gray area and because we weren’t there with video cameras, we don’t know exactly what Paleo man ate (see Bones, I’ve acknowledged this fact); however modern science, anthropologic studies, and carbon dating has given us a pretty good idea.
From a Paleo perspective, legumes and starchy vegetables are not included in the Paleo Diet because Paleo Woman did not consume them on a consistent basis (if at all) prior to the rise of agriculture. From a scientific, nutritional, and molecular perspective legumes and starchy vegetables are not fit for consumption because of their antinutrient content which includes lectins and saponins (we’ll cover lectins and saponins in a post next week, or you can Google them). These antinutrients wreck the hormonal and immune systems. Legumes and starchy vegetables are also not edible unless cooked.
“Increased intestinal permeability has been associated to many chronic low-grade inflammatory and autoimmune diseases, such as celiac disease, rheumatoid arthritis, type 1 diabetes or multiple sclerosis. Lectins and saponins are able to increase intestinal permeability hence increasing the risk of inflammatory diseases.”
Legumes and starchy vegetables have the following characteristics:
· Cooking destroys most but not all of the toxins. Insufficient cooking can lead to sickness such as acute gastroenteritis.
· They are all rich sources of carbohydrate, and once cooked this is often rapidly digestible, giving a high glycemic index (sugar spike)
· They are extremely poor sources of vitamins (particularly vitamins A, B-group, folic acid and C), minerals, antioxidants and phytosterols.
Wait! What About Squash?!
2. The Paleo Diet classifies squash as a Paleo vegetable
3. The WTF Challenge is not a Paleo-specific challenge. We’re using Paleo principles, sure, but it’s not a Paleo challenge.
4. The WTF Challenge does not allow squash for Level 6 or higher
For Level 6, eliminate:
– cassava root
– potatoes and all potato products (french fries, potato chips, etc.)