No this isn’t charm school but there is a certain element of charm in how you carry yourself as an athlete at Roots.
We put together a reference page on shop etiquette. Read below to be in the know!
5 rounds for time:
10 front squat (135/95)
15 KB swings (24/16)
Gymnastics is Back and Fashion Friday at Chelsea!
Two important announcements!
FASHION FRIDAY AND LADIES HAPPY HOUR – SEPT 19TH at 5-7pm
Looking for a reason to change out of your workout gear? Meet Ali, Stef and the ladies of CrossFit Roots at Chelsea Boulder (1646 Pearl Street) at 5pm for a night of fun and fashion.
Enjoy drinks and snacks while you chat and learn tips and tricks on how to style a fit physique from Roots own Liz Finkelstein of Mile High Style. Liz will give a short talk full of helpful information including the 10 must have items for every closet! From there, we have the community table at Shine reserved at 6:30. Come on over for a drink! Please join us for all, or a portion of the event.
GYMNASTICS IS BACK!
We are pleased to welcome Jessica Shuck to the coaching crew and with her the Thursday 12:30pm gymnastics class. Sign-up on MBO.
Stay tuned for Jessica’s bio!
Reminder! The Women’s Only Program Free Intro and Information Session is tomorrow (Wednesday) at 9:30am. Tell a friend. Details here.
21-15-9 reps, for time:
Deadlift (225 lbs / 155 lbs)
Diane is part of the yearlong benchmark series.
The CrossFit Roots Annual Paleo Crocktoberfest
Join us for Roots’ 4th Annual Paleo Crocktoberfest crock-pot cooking contest! Bring your favorite crock-pot creation and compete against your fellow athletes for the title of Roots’ Ultimate Crocktologist!
Sunday, October 5th – 4:30pm
Sign up for competitors will open today in MBO under the events tab. Click here to register!
There will be 3 categories of competition – Entrees, Desserts, and Crocktails. There will be winners named for each category.
You do not have to compete to attend but if you are not entering a crock, please bring a side or drink to share.
Doors open at 4:30pm. Judging starts at 5pm. Eating starts as soon as the judges have had an opportunity to taste each of the entries.
Judging starts promptly at 5pm. Any entries that arrive after 5pm will be enjoyed by all but will not be in the running for the title.
All ingredients must be paleo approved (please post any ingredient questions to comments)
Paleo Gray area sugars (including honey, maple, agave, etc) are allowed but be prepared to disclose if you have used any added sugar.
All ingredients must be cooked in the crock-pot (cannot bbq, fry wok, etc. prior to going in the pot. Searing or browning is OK).
Be prepared to share the family recipe.
Questions? Post to comments.
Row 30 calories
30 burpees, jumping over the barbell
135-lb. hang power cleans, 30 reps
It’s Monday. How do you make certain to start your week of on the right foot? Post to comments.
Come on in for one of the yearly benchmark tests!
Row 2000 Meters
30 Burpees Over the barbell
(two-foot jump, two-foot land)
30 Hang Squat Cleans (185/125 lbs)
30 Walking Lunges (185/125 lbs)
Harvest Hoedown Volunteers
30-20-10 reps for time of:
The Early Show
Tonight’s the night.
Doors open at 6pm. Show starts at 7:00pm.
30 reps for time:
Snatch (135 lbs)
This workout is part of the yearlong benchmark series. Learn about the series here.
TEDx Boulder September 27th! – Free Drawing for Tickets
Hey Roots Crew!
TEDxBoulder is September 27th and we’ve got a pair of tickets to give away! Drop your name in the box at the shop and we’ll pull a winner from all entries on Wednesday, September 17th.
And! – we are very excited to let you know that our very own Roots athlete Ash Beckham, is back for a follow-up to her wildly successful 2013 talk.
What is a TED Talk?
TED is a nonprofit devoted to spreading ideas, usually in the form of short, powerful talks (18 minutes or less). TED began in 1984 as a conference where Technology, Entertainment and Design converged, and today covers almost all topics — from science to business to global issues — in more than 100 languages. Meanwhile, independently run TEDx events help share ideas in communities around the world. (Source: TED)
In the spirit of ideas worth spreading, TEDx is a program of local, self-organized events that bring people together to share a TED-like experience. At a TEDx event, TEDTalks video and live speakers combine to spark deep discussion and connection in a small group. These local, self-organized events are branded TEDx, where x = independently organized TED event. The TED Conference provides general guidance for the TEDx program, but individual TEDx events are self-organized. (Source: TEDxBoulder)
Have you been to TEDxBoulder before? Post to comments.
Women’s Only Free Class and Info Session Wednesday September 17th @ 9:30 am
For as long as you can continue, up to 20 minutes:
1 muscle-up every 30 seconds
10 pull-ups and 10 dips every minute
Meet a Root: Melissa
Melissa has been a dedicated member of Roots in the Women’s Only program since 2013. We’d love for you all to meet her.
1. Vitals: Melissa Childers, joined April 2013
2. Where were you born/raised? Fairhope, Alabama and Boulder, Colorado
3. Married, kids, family? Married and one daughter who is 81/2
4. What do your days consist of? Getting kiddo off to school, exercise, work, and then mom stuff for the rest of the afternoon.
5. What is your favorite thing about CrossFit? All of it, I love it. I love the focus on the strength and functionality of your body rather than image. I love that as a mom of a girl I do something that is about being fit, strong and healthy.
6. What is your least favorite thing about CrossFit? It is farther from my house than I would like it to be!
7. Favorite WOD or movement? This is a hard one for me to nail down. I often see something written up there on the board and I am secretly inside dreading it and then get going and realize that I like it and it isn’t so bad after all.
8. Least favorite WOD or movement? Front squats or maybe cleans
9. Do you have any goals in CrossFit? In the beginning I wanted to be able to do a pull up with no bands and HSPU. I thought it would never happen for me. Maybe for other people, but I definitely thought I wouldn’t get there. While I can’t do loads of them I can do each of those! So the next thing I would love to be able to do is a muscle up. It seems so insanely hard!
10. When you’re not CrossFitting, what activities keep you busy? Mostly hanging out with my family doing activities like riding bikes, going to the park and walking the dogs. When I am on my own, reading and yoga.
11. How do you make CrossFit a part of your weekly schedule? I am, for better or worse, kind of rigid and decided I would give this a try 3x a week and so now I just go. It is part of my life so I schedule other things around making it there 3x a week.
12. Any favorite stories from the Women’s Only class? Funny, comical, happy, cool? Well I did manage to hit myself with a kettle bell in a fairly unfortunate place which while embarrassing was fairly amusing.
13. Anything you’d like to add? I really enjoy working out with all the women at Roots and the connection and support. It is fun and inspiring to watch everyone’s success and growth over time. Thank you, thank you to Ali our super-awesome coach who is kind when we need it and assertively supportive when it counts! And a big thanks to CrossFit Roots for being such a great place to get fit.
Post to comments to give Melissa a shout out.
Fight Gone Bad
Three rounds of:
Wallball, 20 pound ball, 10 ft target (Reps)
Sumo deadlift high-pull, 75 pounds (Reps)
Box Jump, 20″ box (Reps)
Push press, 75 pounds (Reps)
*In this workout you move from each of five stations after a minute. The clock does not reset or stop between exercises. This is a five-minute round from which a one-minute break is allowed before repeating. On call of “rotate”, the athletes must move to next station immediately for best score. One point is given for each rep, except on the rower where each calorie is one point.
Kids Program Update
The Fall times for CrossFit Kids are Monday 5pm-5:45pm and Tuesday at 4:30pm-5pm.
And, most importantly, we have a new Kids Coach. Our very own Lauren Rubini, rowing coach extraordinaire, is now coaching Kids classes! She brings her coaching background, CrossFit Kids training, and, um, sixteen years of teaching elementary school.