Women’s Only Free Class and Info Session Wednesday September 17th @ 9:30 am
For as long as you can continue, up to 20 minutes:
1 muscle-up every 30 seconds
10 pull-ups and 10 dips every minute
Meet a Root: Melissa
Melissa has been a dedicated member of Roots in the Women’s Only program since 2013. We’d love for you all to meet her.
1. Vitals: Melissa Childers, joined April 2013
2. Where were you born/raised? Fairhope, Alabama and Boulder, Colorado
3. Married, kids, family? Married and one daughter who is 81/2
4. What do your days consist of? Getting kiddo off to school, exercise, work, and then mom stuff for the rest of the afternoon.
5. What is your favorite thing about CrossFit? All of it, I love it. I love the focus on the strength and functionality of your body rather than image. I love that as a mom of a girl I do something that is about being fit, strong and healthy.
6. What is your least favorite thing about CrossFit? It is farther from my house than I would like it to be!
7. Favorite WOD or movement? This is a hard one for me to nail down. I often see something written up there on the board and I am secretly inside dreading it and then get going and realize that I like it and it isn’t so bad after all.
8. Least favorite WOD or movement? Front squats or maybe cleans
9. Do you have any goals in CrossFit? In the beginning I wanted to be able to do a pull up with no bands and HSPU. I thought it would never happen for me. Maybe for other people, but I definitely thought I wouldn’t get there. While I can’t do loads of them I can do each of those! So the next thing I would love to be able to do is a muscle up. It seems so insanely hard!
10. When you’re not CrossFitting, what activities keep you busy? Mostly hanging out with my family doing activities like riding bikes, going to the park and walking the dogs. When I am on my own, reading and yoga.
11. How do you make CrossFit a part of your weekly schedule? I am, for better or worse, kind of rigid and decided I would give this a try 3x a week and so now I just go. It is part of my life so I schedule other things around making it there 3x a week.
12. Any favorite stories from the Women’s Only class? Funny, comical, happy, cool? Well I did manage to hit myself with a kettle bell in a fairly unfortunate place which while embarrassing was fairly amusing.
13. Anything you’d like to add? I really enjoy working out with all the women at Roots and the connection and support. It is fun and inspiring to watch everyone’s success and growth over time. Thank you, thank you to Ali our super-awesome coach who is kind when we need it and assertively supportive when it counts! And a big thanks to CrossFit Roots for being such a great place to get fit.
Post to comments to give Melissa a shout out.