Hey Roots Crew!
It’s that time! Week 4 of the CrossFit Open is upon us and this week we bring you two very special guests – Suffer Better and Camp Kesem.
Each year CrossFit Roots donates the proceeds from our annual CrossFit Open t-shirt sales to a local charity. This year, we selected Camp Kesem.
Please join us for a very special Friday Night Lights!
- Do the workout!
- High five someone
- Pick-up your Suffer Better t-shirt!
- Help us present a check to Camp Kesem
- Stay for Happy Hour and snacks
Remember, whether you are doing the workout at Friday Night Lights, did it earlier in the day during a group class, or just want to come by – we HIGHLY encourage you to check out this weekly dose of Friday evening awesomeness! Don’t miss it before the season is over.
Suffer Better and Camp Kesem
Each year during The Open we are reminded that we are part of something much bigger than a workout. We are part of a community that thrives on a shared commitment to athletics and health.
Each year we are honored to partner with the one and only Suffer Better for the CrossFit Roots 2018 CrossFit Open t-shirt. This year, 100% of all tee and tank proceeds are be donated to the CU-Boulder chapter of Camp Kesem.
The mission of Suffer Better is to build a global community of athletes who are driven by the mantra Suffer Better. We train and live life to the fullest, avoiding shortcuts and embracing the pain it takes to reach our goals. We Suffer Better and we give back to others. We welcome those who share our path.
Kesem is a nationwide community, driven by passionate college student leaders, that supports children through and beyond their parent’s cancer. We are the largest national organization dedicated to this unique population – supporting children with innovative, fun-filled programs that foster a lasting community.
You can learn more about Suffer Better’s founders and their mission here. You can learn more about Camp Kesem here. Both groups will be onsite at Roots on Friday night!
Warm-up Coach, Week 4 – Greg Castro
Each week the warm-up area is stocked with a Roots coach who is affectionately called – The Warm-up Coach! As you all know we will be running WODs in heats through the night which means you’ll be responsible for warming yourself up but have no fear, a Warmup Coach will be near!
In addition to the coaches that are present and floating around to help you with the Open, each week there is a designated Warmup Coach (WC) in the warmup area. The WC will change each week and we’ll introduce them here, in the weekly guide.
The WC is there to answer any questions you have regarding how to warm up (a specific warmup will be written on the whiteboard), discuss movement standards, chat about “to scale or not to scale”, how to approach the workout, give you a pep talk, and all that good stuff. They will also gather you and the rest of your heat minutes before it is time for your heat.
We have a dynamite group of folks who have taken and passed the judges course! If you have taken the judges course but not yet signed up to judge on Friday Nights, please view this doc and sign-up for what you are able. Thank you for volunteering! We couldn’t do this without you!
1. Watch the LIVE Announcement on Thursday night at 6pm to learn the workout. Go here to watch or come by the shop, we’ll have it on!
2. Tune-in to CrossFit Roots’ Facebook LIVE show at 7pm where we’ll talk about the workout and interview a weekly special guest! This week we welcome Shayna Larsen to the show – longtime CrossFit athlete, SugarWOD founder, artist, photographer, Mom, and badass 8:30am athlete.
3. Sign-up on MBO for a heat time for Friday night. Heat times will be posted by 9pm in MBO on Thursday evenings. If you can’t make Friday night, be sure to sign-up for a regular group class.
4. Show up on Friday. If you’re coming to do the workout at Friday Night Lights, we recommend arriving 30 minutes before your heat begins so you have plenty of time to change clothes, check-in with the WC, and get ready.
5. Do the workout!
6. BYOB to share, smile, and join us for Happy Hour – you did it!
Questions about ANYTHING Open related? Post to comments.