May is just around the corner and that means one thing – Memorial Day Murph at CrossFit Roots.
We hope you can join us for this annual event that honors our country’s fallen soldiers. This year’s Memorial Day Murph is on Sunday, May 27th. Athletes do the CrossFit Hero workout Murph and then stay for a potluck breakfast. Last year over 120 athletes came out do the workout. This event is for all Roots athletes and we encourage everyone to participate.
The first wave of 50 athletes kicks off at 8:30am and doors open at 8:00am.
1 mile Run
1 mile Run
In memory of Navy Lieutenant Michael Murphy, 29, of Patchogue, N.Y., who was killed in Afghanistan June 28th, 2005. This workout was one of Mike’s favorites and he’d named it “Body Armor”. From here on it will be referred to as “Murph” in honor of the focused warrior and great American who wanted nothing more in life than to serve this great country and the beautiful people who make it what it is. Partition the pull-ups, push-ups, and squats as needed. Start and finish with a mile run. If you’ve got a twenty pound vest or body armor, wear it.
As always, we will have scaling options. Nicole, Ryan, and Kirk will be there on Sunday to help guide you if you’re not sure which option is for you, but here they are in advance if you’d like to start preparing:
1. RX – as written and with a 20-pound vest (we have 9 vests – first come, first serve). The 20 pound vest is for male AND female for RX, there is no “women’s weight.” The vest mimics the weight of body armor and you can’t scale body armor, bad things happen.
2. BODY WEIGHT – as written, but without a weight vest
3. BODY WEIGHT plus bands/knees – as written, without a weight vest, and using bands for pull-ups or doing push-ups on knees
4. HALF MURPH – 800m run with 1/2 pull-ups, push-ups, and squats (50/100/150)
5. TEAM MURPH – in a team of 2, partners run alternating 400s and split the pull-ups/push-ups/squats. One partner can work at a time.
The Hero Workouts
Fallen but Never Forgotten – the CrossFit Hero workouts explained.
Talk to a coach in the next few weeks if you’re not sure which option is right for you! We’re always happy to chat.
And we hope to see you there! The first wave kicks off at 8:30am!
[…] week we posted about the annual Memorial Day Murph event at CrossFit Roots. We hope you can join us for this […]
[…] can also do the workout in teams of two (partners must both be signed up for the same wave in MBO). See here for specific scaling options. You got […]