Call Us: (303) 578-8455

Taco Bell Meat vs. Paleo


Taco Bell Meat vs. Paleo

Front squat 3-3-3-3-3 reps

then AMRAP double unders in 2 minutes

Tracie gave this clip to me yesterday. SHOCKING. "Attorney Dee Miles said attorneys had Taco Bell's "meat mixture" tested and found it contained less than 35 percent beef." Quite the contrast to our week's focus on real food.

A Week of Meals in Pictures – Day 2

Day 2 of a Week of Meals in Pictures.

Breakfast: 2 egg scramble with leftover hamburger meat, spinach, onions, and avocado, topped with salsa, prep time – 6:22
Lunch: Illegal Pete’s beef bowl.  Burrito bowl with lettuce instead of rice topped with shredded beef, lots of salsa, guac, onions, and cilantro, prep time: 4:35 waiting in line
Snack: grapefruit,  leftover 1/2 hamburger, 1/2 avocado, prep time – 2:19
Dinner: chuck roast, carrots, onions, brocollini, prep time – 12 minutes to cook broccoli, 11 minutes to prep and stick the chuck roast in the oven but browned while I made lunch so only counting 5 minutes

TOTAL PREP TIME – 30:16 and the chuck roast will fuel our leftovers for at least 3 days

Eric’s Chuck Roast Recipe
1. Preheat oven to 250 degrees
2. Peel 8 or so carrots and place them in the bottom of a roasting pan side by side (like a grate)
3. Sear chuck roast on all sides and place on top of the carrots.  
4. Rub the top of the chuck roast with cajun spices (Frontier brand Blackened Creole salt-free rub)
5. Quarter 2 onions and 5 cloves of garlic and toss in the pan
6. Add 1 cup water to the bottom of the pot 
7. Put the top on and roast 1 hour per pound of meat.  Baste and flip roast occasionally.

10 Responses

  1. Hank

    NPR also picked up the Taco Bell story yesterday afternoon, interviewing the attorney. In fairness to Taco Bell, they read Taco Bell’s statement on the air, which claimed that they start with 100% beef, then add “spices and seasonings” to get to the Taco Bell taste and texture.

    Of course, the lab results say the final product contains only 35% beef, so what are the “spices and seasonings’ that account for the other 65% of the Taco Bell beef? Relax, they’re just common household herbs we use to season our food every day… you know, soybeans, wheat, oats.

  2. shane

    Riiigggghht. So what began as 1lb of beef is now over a 1/2lb of “herbs and spices” and a little beef?! Not even Colonel Sanders would know what to do with all that!

  3. Wendy

    Who eats at taco bell?! Anybody….?
    Didn’t think so…

    If you enjoy food, why is taco bell even in the conversation?

    …and Nicole, much more appetizing Photos today! Thank you.
    That hamburger disc and spinach yesterday gave me nightmares!

  4. Nicole

    Oh my goodness that is disgusting. I have made my fair share of crazy Paleo dishes but nothing has EVER looked like that pre-cooked.

  5. Dizon

    That is why I stick with the all natural McRib. So tender than it fall off the bone!….. of course there doesn’t seem to be any bones.
    That’s so strange